Obesity and Diabetes - Scheme of Work
- This course is designed to give you practical knowledge to work confidently with clients or class participants who are obese or living with diabetes.
- The course covers the causes, pathophysiology and management of obesity and diabetes.
- It explains the importance of appropriate exercise interventions giving you practical programming examples and a clear understanding of the considerations and precautions to be taken when prescribing and instructing exercise.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide you with a key background knowledge about obesity and diabetes.
- To increase your understanding of the risk factors, co-morbidities and management of these conditions.
- To provide information around safe and appropriate exercise options.
- On completion of the course you will be able to prescribe and instruct safe and appropriate exercise to people living with obesity or diabetes in a 1-1 or group setting.
Course content was reviewed and approved by the following organisations:
- Vanessa Warren – The Wellness Clinic, REPs registered trainer specialising in obese and bariatric clients
- Lynne Taylor – Manager - Diabetes Christchurch Inc. New Zealand
Preview Kidney Disease and the Exercise Professional
1 Introduction & Overview of Obesity
Obesity prevalence, causes and costs, measurement and definition.
Module Learning Outcome: To gain an overview of obesity
2 Common Health Issues
Health issues associated with obesity, common medications and treatments.
MLO: To understand the associated health issues and treatments
3 Social & Psychological Impact
Influencing factors, the social and psychological impact, barriers and challenges.
MLO: To give students insight into the issues obese people face
4 Weight Loss Health Outcomes
Weight loss health outcomes. The instructor’s role.
MLO: To provide students with motivational tools to use with their clients
5 Exercise Considerations
MLO: To have an understanding of appropriate exercise modalities for the bigger client
6 Diabetes Overview
Pathophysiology and prevalence of diabetes.
MLO: To gain an overview of diabetes.
7 Diabetes & Management
Types of diabetes and management.
MLO: To understand the types and how they are managed
8 Diabetes Risk Factors
Complications and risk factors of diabetes.
MLO: To understand the complications of diabetes
9 Exercise Benefits, Considerations & Precautions
Benefits of exercise, considerations and precautions.
MLO: What precautions instructors need to take
10 Programming for Obesity & Diabetes
Exercise prescription for both obesity and diabetes.
MLO: To give students appropriate exercise prescription guidelines for obese and diabetic clients
Test yourself by purchasing this course